Saturday, May 13, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

My 4-year-old boy, along with his preschool class sang to me and all the other mothers after class on Friday. Obviously this was for Mother's Day. Since then, I have not been able to get the image or feeling out of my mind. It never ceases to amaze me how a sweet moment like that erases every frustration or difficult moment ever experienced in the name of Motherhood (for me anyway). In fact, it has lead me to wonder about the saying that Motherhood is a thankless job. I guess I understand what they are trying to say--but I decided to have children because that's what I wanted to do and while appreciation is nice and even to a point expected at times, it isn't why I became a Mother. So I guess what I am trying to say is that sometimes these sweet and precious moments take me by surprise because too often I just accept that this is my duty and I'm happy to do it, but I'm not constantly lying in wait for those perks. So when they do come, it's like finding a part of your heart that you didn't even know was missing.

In light of that, I'd like to share a few of those moments I have had that made me feel like being a Mother is the most amazing thing anyone could ever be (and that is possibly the best kept secret of Motherhood)

--Feeling my baby son kick inside me for the first time
--Giving birth to my son and meeting him for the first time, and thinking that he was the most perfect thing on Earth.
--Giving birth to my second son, who was no longer alive, and realizing that I loved him just as much as my other son, and also realizing that he was mine forever and that I would be able to raise him at a later time.
--Giving birth to my first Daughter after going through a considerable amount of pain and anguish to have her (not counting labor) and feeling like the luckiest person ever. And immediately wanting to do it again asap.
--Holding my daughter while images of us sharing girl stuff together continuously wash over my mind's eye.
--My son always telling me that he loves me, even after I have been grouchy (sorry, my vocabulary is starting to mimic that of a preschooler).
--Getting gifts from my son, and of course when he sings to me.

I hope that you can get even a glimpse of how wonderful these memories are.

A special dedication to great women and mothers out there all over, I dearly hope that every great woman gets to experience moments like these.

Happy Mother's Day everyone.

No comments: