Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Lunch

I dislike lunch a great deal (hate is such a strong word). It used to be dinner that I disliked, but now it is lunch. The reason is that I hate (ok, I had to say it) sandwiches--and why do I hate sandwiches? Two words: Luncheon meat. And "meat" is used in the loosest form of the word. I'm sure you are all aware that all luncheon meat consists of bits of random meats and fats and some kind of cartilaginous filler all molded into a loaf form and then sliced up and sealed in a package of some sort of salty juice. Occasionally I decide that I'm going to push through the pain as it were and eat it anyway, so I load up my sandwich with two slices of lunch meat and cover it up with all sorts of cheese and vegetables and usually that masks the nasty texture of the "meat" that I am eating. But every now and then, I bite into a something that cannot be bitten through and therefore cannot be chewed and that, as you can imagine, ruins the sandwich for me.

Now, because these meats have these unchewable parts in them, I generally choose my meat very carefully but on my last trip to Costco, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Lunch meat doesn't even look appetizing to me, I can't imagine that it would to anyone else. In fact, I don't think a single person looks at a package of lunch meat and says in their heads "Wow, that looks delicious, I could tear into that package right away." No, I think what really happens is that people are thinking "Hm... Which of these look the least disgusting, and the most like something I could imagine forcing myself to eat?" I can't for a minute believe that I am the only one thinking that.

So, now I am left with nothing to eat for lunch. You see, lunch is a very interesting meal, you don't want to have anything too closely resembling breakfast, and you wouldn't want to have something that you could have cooked yourself for dinner either. I suppose this is why the sandwich fits in so nicely--but what is one to do when there is no lunch meat? I could survive on bologna (don't make the mistake of thinking that because it is processed in a similar way that I don't like it because bologna has a very distinct difference, it is all ground up making the texture uniform and chewable), but that would only last a couple of days.

Today, I decided to take a different approach all together. I decided to get my protien the vegetarian way. I had an apple smeared with peanut butter and chips with salsa. It was a very satisfying lunch-- but I can't argue with the fact that animal protiens are better for your body, so I've got to come up with some way to eat meat for lunch. I'm honestly beginning to think that I could survive on two shakes a day and then have a variable dinner. I already have one shake every day for breakfast, and let me tell you, the lack of variety is actually quite liberating. Maybe I'll just get that recipe for the nutritious cookies they make for starving children in third world countries and have that for lunch everyday...

6 comments:

ABlack said...

Ali, you are so funny! Maybe you could try a nice salad with chicken. Animal protein plus no gross lunch meat!

Natalie said...

let me know when you get the recipe for the cookie.

Andy & Jessica said...

I hate making lunch too!! My hatred comes from having to make the kids something that they will eat (mac&cheese, hotdogs, you know the drill) then making something different for me. I do have shakes sometimes for lunch just because I am so lazy and don't want to figure out something to make. I do have to say that I like Turkey deli meat, but it has to be cut fresh from the deli department.

ali said...

I'm ok with turkey deli meat if it's cut from the deli too, but sometimes I fool myself into thinking it's the same on the deli aisle tsk tsk!!

Adam said...

Ali- you're just using the wrong kind of meat. I've learned a valuable lesson when dealing with lunch meat: You get what you pay for.

Furthermore, I quote Dr. Leo Spaceman: "If it's meat, I support it. I've always said humans need more animal blood. It keeps the spine straight."

Becky O. said...

Don't even get me started on the subject of meat these days... :)

But I agree with you lunch meat gets old. I'm really into tomato sandwiches using tomatoes from Kelly and Arlene's garden! But ya, getting that protein in can be a challenge. I also am way into beans and iceberg lettuce salads!