Friday, September 21, 2007

Parents Magazine

Parents Magazine is one of the magazines that I subscribe to, and have done so for about 5 years. In the past I have found it enjoyable to read and very informative, but lately it is proving to be ridiculous and overly paranoind. I'm not sure if I have changed or if the magazine has, but let me give you a few examples as I have just recieved the latest issue:

There is an article about eczema which would be fine normally, and has the potential to be helpful but it is written in such a ridiculous way. This part in particular made me chuckle:

"Last summer, Cindy Melvin's sons, Kendall, 12, and Coby, 4, didn't make it to the beach. They didn't play in their neighbors' yards, and they didn't go to camp with their friends. The boys have severe eczema that's aggrivated by sweating and outdoor allergens like grass. 'In September, we had a birthday party for Kendall outside,' says Melvin, of Lakewood California. 'Halfway through, he started itching so badly that he had to go inside and watch the rest of his party from the kitchen window. He was devistated.'"

Well of course he was devistated!! He has two morons for parents that even after 12 years haven't figured out that maybe they should hold Kendalls birthday parties inside because he has a skin condition that is aggrivated by OUTDOOR ALLERGENS. Parents magazine should be using this as an example of moronic parenting rather than attempting to exploit our emotions, because any parent with half a brain will immediately find fault with rather than sympathize with these parents. And even if the story is true, the editors of the magazine should have seen how ridiculous that example was and cut it from their magazine.

Immediately after that article is another article titled "Safety Limits," and the Author starts out promisingly enough making it sound as if she thinks we as parents have a tendancy to be overcautious, but then she ends the opening paragraph with this little gem: "There's no downside to being supercautious." I'm not making this stuff up! Um, by the way, there is a downside to being supercautious, it's called paranoia and it's certifiable.

Aside from the paranoia is the parenting advice from the parents that clearly cannot make decisions for themselves. In one advice column, parents ask questions like: "My 4-year-old always uses his clothes as a napkin! How can I cure his chronic messiness?" As I type this, I can think of at least a hundred different things to try, and I have to wonder, are these parents so completely inept that they can't figure this out on their own? Um--give him a napkin for starters, and make him use it. This next question pushes the borders of believability: "Our neighborhood isn't very kid-friendly. Is it rude to take my children to a different area to trick-or-treat?" Are you really worried about offending your neighbors that are not kid friendly? And chances are, if it isn't a kid friendly neighborhood, they won't be handing out treats. I would just love to hear about the parent that took her kid to the neighborhood pediphile's house to trick-or-treat because she "didn't want to be rude."

"Yeah, the kidnapper wanted to babysit our kids, so what could we do? We wouldn't want to offend the kidnapper. Gee we sure hope that he doesn't hurt our kids. If only Parent's Magazine had answered our question we would have known what to do!"

Believe it or not, it goes on, and each thing is more inane and idiotic than the last. I was just going to let my subscription pass, but I think I'm going to have to call and ask for my money back.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Ali, are you okay? You seem really angry. Just kidding. I hate Parents magazine.

ali said...

I think I am really angry inside, that's why I have this blog, so that I have a constructive way to let my feelings out... :)