Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Dreams

There was a commercial a couple of years ago that described the perfect opposite to my character. I'm not sure if everyone out there has seen this commercial, so let me paint the picture:

A Mom is sitting in her house with kids playing around her, and she says to the camera: "I don't clean my house so I can sit around and admire how clean it is, I clean it because life happens."

Or something to that effect. This commercial always makes me laugh because I love to sit around and admire how clean things are, especially my house. In fact, if I could stop life from happening so that my house would stay clean, I think I would.

Unfortunately, this dream of mine is in direct contrast to my actual life because I have children, and it seems as though their dream is to have the messiest house on Earth.

These days when I daydream, I think of beautifully organized cupboards and closets, shelves with bins and walls with hooks, and a perfect place for everything. Matching bins that are perfectly labeled with perfectly stacked things inside. And I always know where everything is, and everyone always puts everything back in it's place. And whenever we get something new, we throw something old away. It's hard to describe just how much I want this-- because I want it so very badly.

A few things I have discovered while trying to attain this dream, it costs money and requires a lot of initial work, and quite a bit of subsequent work to keep it that way. Also, I have discovered that everyone in the house needs to see the same vision, and that is pretty darn challenging.

*sigh*

Perhaps someday I will be able to stall life long enough to get organized.

7 comments:

Becky O. said...

I have that same dream. Every time I read Good Houskeeping they have the coolest sections on organizing the house. I always want to buy these organzation tools/shelves/things.

...and I don't think anyone has the perfectly clean house unless they are (a) on a commercial (b)in a magazine (c) they don't clean it themselves or (d) don't have kids

Adam said...

Ali, we Olsens need to stick together. I, for one, love the Olsen "Throw everything away" mentality. Nothing feels better than hucking some piece of useless garbage.

In a perfect world, my house would be nothing but empty cupboards, a few shirts and pants, and a single mattress on the floor of an empty bedroom.

Ahh, bliss...

Andy & Jessica said...

I totally agree with Becky! I think you can achieve the dream of a perfectly clean house if you have someone clean it and you don't have kids to mess it up. One of my neighbors growing up would lock her kids out of her house and clean. So then her kids would come over to our house and mess our house up. This used to make my mom and myself so angry. But because she did this her house was pretty clean. I really don't know how anyone could could lock their own kids out of their house? Anyways. . .
Someday we will have a clean house(when our kids are grown up), but then we will probably miss our kids. So we keep dreaming :-)

Juli said...

Ali, although I am SERIOUSLY deficient in my organizational abilities, I love clean spaces, too. Sigh. My house is an absolute wreck 90% of the time. I TRY to think of it as "cozy clutter", homey, lived-in, etc., but really it's mostly a safety hazard--I trip over those blankity-blank Thomas trains on a daily basis and if I find one more colored pencil or pair of scissors sticking out between the couch cushions I'm going to scream. But, I take comfort in knowing that this is just another phase of life and that in the not-too-terribly-distant future my house will have its day to "shine". Besides, on most days I'd much rather see 3 happy, creative, active kids than a spic-and-span livingroom. Most days....

ali said...

We actually did have neighbors like that back in Orem. They were empty nesters, and the most anal people alive. They would even start to try to organize our yard for us ;) But you have to admire someone with a garage so clean you could eat off of any surface, and theirs was such a garage.

Also, I would settle for clutter, but it's the organization that I crave so very much.

Natalie said...

I am so with you on this one Ali! Ryan's parents are the most organized people i know. You could eat off of their garage floor, or the tires of their vehicles every Tuesday, as that is car washing day. Someday....(actually that will never be me, but somewhere in between where I am now and where his parents are would be great)!

ABlack said...

Ali, I LOVE this song! I was immediately taken to Girls Just Want to Have Fun, I love that movie now I have to go watch it. I love 80's rock, I swear I should have been in High School in the 80's!
Ahlena