Monday, January 28, 2008

Updates and Miscellany



For about the last week or so, I have been coming across a lot of things I could blog about, but I was too lazy to do so, so here are shortened versions of those blogs (because heaven knows I could write for paragraphs on just about any topic).

Updates:

*For those of you who are interested, Jr. the goldfish is still alive and kicking (or fining). I ended up buying a ten gallon tank with a filter and all the accessories (and I mean all the accessories) and I was dangerously close to becoming a goldfish aficionado (for those of you who know me well, I tend to do things either full scale top notch or not at all) and if I had had a spare thousand dollars (ha ha spare thousand dollars! I crack me up!), I seriously would have built myself a fish pond in the back yard. Really--I really wanted to. Sadly though, a ten gallon tank for a goldfish will only work for about three years and then I'll either have to build a fish pond or I will have to "set him free" in some sort of natural body of water, and I'm leaning toward the latter.

*As you remember reading about my distaste for lunch, I thought I'd let you know that I have abandoned the concept altogether and am now having breakfast for the first two meals each day (I just loooove breakfast lately).

*An update to my recent blog about organizing, I thought I'd all let you know that Home depot has an amazing selection of garage racks etc. that I spent a great deal of time drooling over this evening (yes, I really do get that excited about organization in all forms)

Miscellany:

*I was going to write a bitter blog about my dealings with poop as of late. My daughter has taken to pulling off her poop filled diapers and smearing them on all surfaces within toddler-arm's reach which is really only amusing the first couple of times (or at least I was able to laugh it off in an attempt to repress the tears that now flow freely at each poop "experience"). And on a particularly poopy day (literally in my case) I found numerous piles of animal feces on my property that made me so completely livid that I was honestly considering making a personal visit to all of my pet owning neighbors and giving them back their poop because I was just too darn tired to deal with any poop that was not my direct responsibility (I still fantasize about that bold move).

*I was also going to write a blog about my makeup woes (you beat me to that blog Nat). I had recently discovered that I have old looking lips, as in the color has faded and I can no longer rely on nature to be my only defense. Which sucks for me, because lipstick was always the makeup I could not bring myself to do for so many reasons mostly dealing with it coming off and getting on all other surfaces. And in my attempt to rectify both problems, I tried out several types of "long lasting" lipsticks that left me incensed and publicly humiliated as I scrubbed the stuff off my lips with makeup remover at a local Sephora because I was too embarrassed to be seen with it on any longer. And incidentally, I think I had to scrub off a layer of skin to get the stuff off...

*And lastly I was planning on writing a blog about my recent and noble attempt to take TV out of my life (for a day or two each week--I'm not totally crazy!). I have been so angry at TV for wasting so much of my time, I vowed to get revenge. So on Thursday, I decided to have my first "no TV day." It went pretty well, my kids had a quieter day, I was able to use my daughter's nap time to put snaps on my duvet cover opening (sorely needed) and I had a great time playing "roll the ball" with my son. then, at about 8 pm, I started to crack. My husband was supposed to be home at 7:30 to entertain me, and he had not shown. The house was empty, the kids were in bed, and the silence was beginning to eat away at me. I finally gave in and put on an episode of Gilmore girls and ever since I have been extremely disappointed that I failed to go just one day without TV.

Well, that's all (for those of you still reading...). Just little snippets of my mind to feast on. Sort of a dim sum of ideas if you will. I hope you enjoyed them--try them with a little sweet and sour sauce next time, I hear it's delicious.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Here are comments to all your thoughts:
~The fish.....amazing! It is always the fish that you don't want to keep that ends up living for 35 years.(its like they know that and want to show you they can live...stinkin fish). However the tank sounds great. I love the fact that you do things all the way or not at all. It is much better than some half hearted attempt which ends up using some money but the fish dies 3 weeks later. (this is what I do) I wish I was there to see the fish and the nice tank! (try to keep it alive until I can come and see it)

~Lunch is soooo overrated! We have pancake night every week for an evening meal....I really mean EVERY week. I still love it. The boys still love it....Aaron...well he still puts on a smile and says 'great'

~My dream life begins and ends with IKEA! All the totes and cute ideas. I generally freak out when I see their catalog because I want my small spaces to look just like theirs do. But of course I don't have the cash to buy it all at once...so I think 'okay I will just buy things one at a time'....nope that doesn't work! It just looks lame. It doesn't look like the picture and I end up mix and matching things from different stores until I have created a look that feels like 'Ross Dress for Less'.....not the beautiful feeling I felt looking at the IKEA catalog!....again *sign* Although I have more hope for you...you can do this!

~Please tell me that Greta doesn't do that with her diaper?! Oh I am so sorry. Words cannot describe what I feel when you write things like that. I can barely handle wiping James's bottom anymore and that is a little more civilized than wiping pooh from countertops

~Make up.....ahhh....all I can say is that I NEED to start wearing some. Yeah I got away with no makeup for a long time and than one day last week I looked in the mirror and screamed! I need help....*sigh* However you Ali always look good(I'm not joking)

~ and lastly TV. no comment...the only TV we get is in a language that I do not comprehend, with fuzziness. That's right we are living the high life!

And finally I just need to add that I love your blog and secretly wish that you would have spent a ton of time describing, in detail, all these things. I just can't get enough of Ali's Turn. It really cracks me up!

And so ends my 'way too long, don't you have more things to do sarah?' comment.

Sarah said...

eh hem! Why is it when I finally make a comment...no one else does? Do I intimidate you all? Or do I disgust you....really people! This is offensive. Look back to the archives, when Sarah is heard the masses go silent. Well I guess I have learned my lesson.....this may very well be my very last comment...........

ali said...

it had better not be!! I was just about to chastise you for being MIA from my blog. You have to know that I write this late last night and I don't think anyone has seen it yet. Plus, my blog is always last on everyone's long list of time wasters, so you have to put that into consideration...

I'm so glad you commented, and I love long ones! And yes, she really does do that with her diaper, I have wiped down her crib more times than I care to remember, and let's just say that I had to buy "Pet stain remover" for my carpet, and we haven't used it on the pet once if you see what I mean. I make it sound much cheerier than it is--trust me.

Sarah said...

Thank you Ali. I feel much better! :)

Juli said...

Thanks for making me laugh, Ali! Not that I take delight in other people's poop, but it sure does put my day in perspective.

I also agree heartily with the concept of breakfast for lunch. Sadly, for me that means cold cereal twice a day (I'm a HUGE Frosted Mini-Wheats fan). It would be so nice if I could muster the desire to make waffles or hash browns or something once in a while. We do occasionally have German puff pancakes or omelets for dinner--does that count?

And, as for me, since the end of Gilmore Girls (moment of silence) I've managed to avoid being t.v. obsessed. That's not to suggest that I haven't replaced that vice with others, though. I have completely read through a certain series of books (that shall remained unnamed) 4 times in the past couple of months, and I'm seriously fighting the urge to start them over again--I mean, for Pete's sake, there are certainly other books out there that I'm sure I would love to read! And then my latest vice is my ipod. Can't function without music. Can't drown out screaming children without music. Can't dance out to the mailbox without music. Anywho, I think I'm just trying to say that we all need a release. TV is as legitimate a release as any. =)

Thanks for your blog, Ali. You are such an entertaining writer! And it's nice to get a lttle glimpse into what you guys are up to even though you're so far away. Love ya!!

Oh, and by the way, if I let my eyes unfocus, your background totally does one of those Magic Eye 3-D things. Nifty.

ali said...

I designed it that way, if you are able to see the 3D image, it's actually a recipe for hungarian goulash.

And thanks for liking my blog! I like your comments!

Kendra said...

Ali, I can completely relate to your poop woes as well. When Jacob was a baby, I made the really bad decision to lay him on my bed to change him. While I was wiping his bum, he reached down, grabbed his diaper and started waving it above his head furiously. Poop was flying everywhere, I was screaming, and then crying. It was a moment that will forever be etched in my memory.

Another time, we were trying to get ready to go to the temple and I was ruching around, running late as usual. Jacob walked up to me with his pants off and said he needed to go potty (we were in the process of potty training). So, not really looking at him, I told him to go into the bathroom. After a minute he called for me. When I went in there my horror unfolded. There was poop EVERYWHERE. On the toilet, on the floor, all over his legs. Then, it dawned on me that he had been in the living room prior to the bathroom. I ran in there to discover poop smeared all over my corduroy type couch, and the dog attempting to clean it up. We did no tmake it to the temple that day.

And last, but not least, When jacob was about 10 months old, I was on the phone in the family room and he was crawling around on the floor. He went into the kitchen and was sitting there quietly. I couldn't exacly see him. I could only see the top of his head. After I finished my phone call, I went to get him, and to my horror, found him in a puddle of what looked like melted chocolate. He had smeared it all over the floor. It was on his hands, his mouth, his hair, everywhere. As my mind raced trying to figure out what the stuff was, and where it could have come from, all the peices came together and I realized the cat had been in the kitchen with Jacob, and she had been acting a little funny. When it occured to me that my child was swimming in cat diarrhea, and had likely ingested it, I grabbed him, ran to the bathtub crying, called my Mom, considered calling poison control, and vowed to KILL THE CAT! Jacob suffered no ill effects from the experience. I cannot say the same for me.

So, buck up little camper. You are not alone. If you would like to enter group therapy together, I will totally support you.

ali said...

oh my gosh, that does sound awful! I think we do need a support group. I think it's an often overlooked psychological disorder.

Becky O. said...

these poop stories are more common than i thought. I'm not down-grading your story or the nastiness of it at all. but man...that stuff only goes one place in my book: the toilet. I don't know what i'd do.

also, i'm entertained that the fish is still alive. :)

also, make-up. i'm currently not happy with my mascara. i need to go back to MAC mascara. I love mac...oooh that counter makes me happy. :)