Thursday, April 10, 2008

Makeup part 2 AKA "The Big Compromise"

First of all, you are all waaaaay too kind, I put the "embodiment of youthful beauty" option on the poll as a joke. I really hope you all know that I'm joking about all that and I'm not that egotistical...

I think I may have found a solution to this problem: I have been trying to make the switch cold turkey as that is my method for solving all of my problems and it just isn't working. But how can I expect it to? There's no way I'm going to be motivated to put on makeup just to watch my two year old put her dolls to bed and twirl around while she listens to music. That would be like the majority of other women putting on stiletto's and dresses just to play with a toddler all day long. So I decided the best way to do this was to ease into it by picking the most public days of my week and wear makeup all those days. These turned out to be Sunday (church), Wednesday (young women), and Friday (date night with the husband).

So far, I have done a Friday and a Sunday and it has worked out quite well! My favorite thing to laugh at though when I do wear makeup is everybody's reactions. My husband said he couldn't stop looking at me (awww), and a couple of my friends on Sunday noticed the improvement as well. I have to admit though that not wearing makeup for so long and then suddenly putting on a whole "face" makes me a little paranoid about putting on way too much. But I just tell myself that I'm just not used to seeing that much on my face, and I'm not wearing any more than the 13 yr old girls in my Young Women class do...

Isn't it funny that as a girl you can't wait until your parents let you shave and wear makeup and pierce your ears and then when you get older, all of those things become a burden? If only I could channel that youthful exuberance!

6 comments:

Shanna said...

Good job! I do very minimal make-up for everyday, and then a little more for date nights or whatever. But a word of warning- if you are putting on the same amount as a 13 year old, it is probably WAY too much! LOL!

ali said...

that's probably totally true!! I think I fall just under them in the eye makeup category...

Adam and Lisa said...

Hey Ali! I found your blog from your comments on Shanna's blog! I am with you on the makeup thing. I usually put mine on while standing in my classroom before the bell rings (no mirror). I try to dress up a little more for special occasaions, but usually it's minimal and I am DEFINITELY not going to reapply during the day. If it comes off, it's off and that is it. I agree with Shanna about the 13-year-old thing! :)

Britney said...

Good thinking..."introduce" the make in slowly!

Tell Jon Hi!

Melinda & Matt said...

I'm glad I found your blog! I'm with you on the makeup thing--I stopped wearing it years ago, but feel like maybe I should start...so I've been wearing it on Sundays...maybe I should do it more often too :)

Natalie said...

Ali, we've talked about this and i don't think that you need makeup. You have amazing skin and gorgeous features. That is why i didn't comment, because we have talked about this very thing.