Sunday, June 15, 2008

Have you seen this?

In a moment of boredom last night (you all need to update your blogs more often, I'm running out of things to comment on, and I just can't keep commenting on top of comments!! ok, I have no life...) I decided to visit another of my favorite websites to see if there was any new news: Stephenie Meyer's official website. (She's the author of the twilight series). And as I was perusing her website reading everything I have already read before, I decided to read about this which lead me to reread this because I loved it so much the first time, and if you have read twilight but haven't read the first chapter of Midnight Sun, I command that you stop whatever you are doing and read it. NOW. It is so great, that because I reread it I've decided to reread this for fun:

*sigh* I love this book. I love losing myself in the misty green mossy world of Forks, Washington. I love star-crossed lovers and danger, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE vampires (don't judge, it's fun to get lost in the make believe once in a while. Not everything has to be truth). Perhaps I love it too much. What, exactly constitutes an obsession?

But I digress. My main point is to direct you all to Midnight Sun because it tells Edward's side of the story, and Stephenie's writing is very well done. Edward is older and more mature, and also given that he is a vampire, his thoughts are decidedly more dark and interesting. Read it and tell me what you think, or if you have already read it, tell me what you thought.

*** Look forward to a post in the making about more books and the debate about the worth of books in the Young Adult or Teen Fiction section.

16 comments:

Becky said...

i shall read. but only after i finish my cluster blogging :) get excited. we went to the apollo theater last week!

Adam said...

This book has such a strange effect on you women. After witnessing Becky devour this book in a matter of days I am convinced now more than ever that every female is born with an innate, instinctual need to connect emotionally with a vampire.

jill said...

ok Ali- I love the Twilight series too though I admit I avoided reading it because of the crazy amount of female gushing and for the fact that most LDS novelists fail to keep me interested. But I did and I love them and I now gush. S.M.'s ability to write ina a multi- dimensional way and with such developed characters proves her talent. I am with you that I now need to reread and compare Twilight to the first chapter of Midnight Sun. I love the maturity and depth of his account and I happily anticipate those "aha!" moments that await in comparing the two viewpoints. I am not sure about the movie for the usual concern of the storyline becoming overly transformed but we'll see...

ali said...

I'm a tad nervous about the movie for that reason too, but I know myself--I'm going to go see it--so hopefully it won't disappoint.

Adam--how right you are.

Chris said...

I agree with Adam. Once Wendy gets a hold of an unread S.M. book, she tunes out the world. I have to wait until she's done (always within 24 hrs) before I can have any type of conversation with her.

Shanna said...

Ahh, I just loaned Eclipse to a friend, and then promptly got out New Moon to re-read it once again. I love that world! Visit Lisa's blog and vote for her to finally read it!! :) And whenever I loan my books to anyone, Kydon says "your husband will hate that book" LOL. But he is waiting to get Twilight back so that he can read it and see what all the hype is about! I guess the joke is on him! ;)

Britney said...

I had no idea you were a Twilight lover too! I'm so obsessed...it's not even funny.

I've given my self a little break from Twilight, because I needed to tend to my family and husband. So I'm waiting to read the first chapter of Midnight Sun, until around when book 4 comes out. Then I can get all crazy/obsessed again.

But don't worry...I'm counting down the days until the movie too!

Juli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Juli said...

Hip Hip Hooray for other Twilight saga lovers!! You're in good company here. All of my former obsessions (Pride & Prejudice, anyone? Harry Potter? Pirates of the Carribbean? Gilmore Girls?) have been blown out of the water by Twilight. I won't go into details, because I don't want to be shipped off to the loony bin--at least not til after Breaking Dawn comes out....

Anywho,

I, too have read the first chapter of Midnight Sun several times, and I can't wait for SM to finish it!

I love that it sheds some light on Edward's behavior. It's crazy (and pretty graphic) the way he struggles to keep himself in control that first day.

I also love that we get to see the "human" side of Edward--he's not as gleaming perfect as we are used to seeing him through Bella's eyes.

I am very curious to see the process behind the change in the way he sees Bella--because he finds her perfectly ordinary at this point, which is a far cry from where they end up.


On a side note, have you checked out all the stuff on Twilight Lexicon? They've got some amazing Q&A and personal correspondance with SM that gives all sorts of background and tidbits on the characters and the story: http://www.twilightlexiconblog.com/?page_id=17.
The rest of the site is pretty interesting, too--the timeline, mythologies, etc....

ali said...

yeah, I've seen all that too--I went on a binge last year :)

I'm also dying to see how Edward falls in Love with Bella, it's going to make a really great story.

Chris said...

I think Stephanie Meyers is just a front. She is probably link to the communist and now that every women is hooked on the twilight series, she's going to put subliminal messages into her next book.

Even if this isn't true, I'm sure "the brethren" will be talking about how to overcome the SM addiction at the next General R.S. meeting.

Melanie said...

I feel like this post has become an opportunity for family SM lovers to come out of the closet and unite. Now we just need to know if Kira has read them...

ali said...

I don't think Kira even reads this blog...

(are you out there Kira?)

Adam and Lisa said...

Ok, so this confirms I am the last living female soul who hasn't read it. Maybe one day.....

Andy & Jessica said...

I love these books!! I just hope the movie they are making about the books (I think that is coming out this next winter) doesn't ruin it for me.
Movie's are never as good as the book.

Amie said...

I know I'm a little late in commenting on this post, but I wondered if you'd read the first chapter to Breaking dawn yet? I have a copy if you'd like...