Thursday, June 05, 2008

Storm Chasing




I can see now with perfect hindsight where I have gone wrong with this baby of mine (yes, I have already gone wrong with him after only 12 days): I was too confident in my abilities as a mother.

"I love newborns," I said to myself, "This is after all my third one--I've done all of this before!"

"I feel great, I am recovering nicely, I really don't mind nursing him even when he wants to eat all the time," I said knowingly, "and quite frankly he is a good sleeper and I don't mind waking up a couple of times a night to feed him."

These are all red flags that should have tipped me off to the fact that there was a storm brewing...


What used to be a quiet sleeper has now turned into a very NOISY GRUNTY sleeper (The baby, not Jon). So technically he is sleeping, but for all the sleep we are not getting he might as well be crying. He did this all last night and finally fell into a quiet and peaceful sleep just as my other two woke up. Storm.

Then, I decided to change his diaper. I think it must have been filled to past capacity because it fell apart and all the absorbent crystals flew everywhere (and there are millions when a diaper comes apart). And if anyone has ever had this happen they know that they are impossible to clean up with a wipe, you must pick each one up by hand and organize them into some sort of trash situation. So there I am trying to clean up this mess with a squirmy screaming newborn with absorbent crystals all over him. For every one I picked up, he kicked out about a million more and they started to stick to every surface... Storm.

And what is it about babies wanting to eat right when your food is ready for you to eat? Can I get a "holla" from everyone who's ever had to feed a baby?!?!

And I would be extremely remiss if I neglected to mention the fact that I have been abandoned by all of my care givers yesterday making this the first day I have had to care for my three kids all alone without my parents (who have earned their place in the highest glories of heaven for all of the service they have rendered to me this last week), and without my husband (Who has also earned his place along with my parents for putting up with me and for caring for me at the same time).

I even got a phone call from a friend who could tell from only my voice that I was stressed (really? I thought I was hiding it better...).

I should have known that I wouldn't pass through newbornhood without a few thorny bushes and potholes. I can be so naive.

20 comments:

jill said...

Even though you are going all Oprah/Letterman by comment snobbing me, I will take the high road and comment. Your post made me laugh. The day Mom leaves me after helping out, I cry. Love those hormones. And props go out to the great husbands who take good care of us too. I loved your description of the diaper crystals. Totally accurate! Hang in there-we can't wait to see the new little one.

ali said...

Jill!! I was hoping for a blogfrontation! I was totally promised one, and I have been stalking your blog ever since. So disappointed.

Adam said...

Pssshhh. Raising kids is going to be so easy.

ali said...

Adam, for you it probably will be. I'm starting to realize that the normal rules and lessons of life that usually humble the rest of us do not apply to you.

Teri said...

awe, newborns. but their so cute! hang in there. in a few months you'll miss it right? about eh feeding, all kids need something when we want to eat!!! gotta love them!

Juli said...

Well Ali, between you and Mel you've got me hyperventilating and wondering what else I've forgotten about on the baby front. Sigh.
At least you have sense of humor about it! =)

Juli said...

By the way, Ali, I haven't actually told anyone about my blog (except for Melanie, the instigator, of course). Glad you found it =).

jon said...

Holla!!!!!

Adam and Bri said...

Ali! I love, love your blog. Very fun. It's great to connect through the blogosphere.

And whilst I can't officially give you a "holla," it's a very fun word to say. So holla anyway!

Melanie said...

So Bennett definately is a grunter as well. After a few nights we got very good at ignoring it, which is bad because sometimes it is hard to distinguish the grunt from the hungry cry.

As for diapers, poor Kevin was changing a "poopy" diaper in the middle of the night and in the dark. He couldn't figure out why this poop was so grainy and going everywhere. To make it better Bennett farted and sent the grainy "poop" all over the place. May the next blown diaper come during daylight for easier cleaning purposes!

Adam and Lisa said...

Ellie excellent at being hungry right as my dinner is ready to eat. If I'm not trying to eat, she will go 3-4-5 hours between eating. But if it has been exactly 2 hours and my dinner is on the plate ready to consume, I will hear a faint cry of "I'm hungry too!" Although I have learned how to use her as a table (is that bad?) and have managed to even eat steak while feeding her. Although I feel kind of bad when I drop crumbs on her....

Shanna said...

Holla. Times 3. :) And I think it means you are a good mom if you are already messing up at 12 days. The better Mom you are, the less time it takes to screw up.

Andy & Jessica said...

I will give you a huge Holla!! The first months of newbornhood are hard at times. That is so nice that Mom and dad were out there to help you for awhile. Good luck. Don't forget that you are a great mom:-)

Britney said...

OH...the absorbent crystals!!!! AH!!!!!!!!!! I feel your pain!

You MUST give yourself a lot more credit! I really can't imagine 3 kids right now...so kudos to you for even thinking about it!

Love the posts and love you!

arleneo said...

Thanks, Ali, I was so touched that you were happy and grateful that we came. I really feel young inside, but the old body has a hard time keeping up with those little ones. I came home and slept from 8:30p.m. to 9:00a.m. the next day. Then for two nights I dreamed I was changing dirty diapers all night. A big huge HOLLA to all you young mothers and parents out there.

Natalie said...

We talked about this last night so I won't comment further except to say that the scary will wear off and and a new normal will ensue. and I am not voting on your side bar because my choice isn't an option. My vote is that you post pictures and don't make your blog private. However, that is totally self serving so my vote shouldn't count. There Ali, all 7 posts now have a comment from yours truly:). Many more to follow:)! Love to you!

Adam said...

Did mom just use the word "Holla"?

ali said...

Yeah, I thought that was great too. I want to be "hip" when I'm a Grandma too!

Natalie said...

What? no comments for my comments? Now who is offended;)?

ali said...

I left a universal comment on your blog because I wasn't sure if you were going to check back....

I'm the worst friend ever :(