Thursday, October 16, 2008

Take me back Baby!

Dear Hawaii,

I've been thinking a lot about you and me lately. I know I haven't always been there for you when you needed me most, and to be honest, although I fell in love with you at first sight, there was a bit of a rocky point in the middle where I had my doubts. I think that we have both said and done things that we didn't mean, for example, that swarm of mosquitoes that you sent to devour me wasn't exactly mature (and for the sake of your dignity, I won't even mention the scorpion and the sugar cane spiders and the centipedes. Shame on you for those!). And remember when I said I couldn't wait to get out of your humidity because it was making my skin break out? Well, I've realized now that I'm willing to put up with a little bit of acne to be with you.

The thing is, I just didn't know what I had, you know? I became complacent. A few days in your beautiful scenery and I began to take you for granted. Remember those days when I said I didn't want to got to the beach because it was too much of a hassle to go everyday? I was so wrong. I began to treat you like you were just an average place, but you aren't--you are special. Not everyone has a place like you. You are kind and giving and beautiful and even though you aren't perfect (who is?), you deserve someone who can love and appreciate you for who you really are and I think after all this time that I can finally be that person for you.

What I'm getting at, basically, is that I want to take our relationship to the next level. I'm in a place where I can offer you serious commitment. I truly believe that because the "honeymoon" portion of our relationship is over and we have both seen the ugly side of each other and we still want to be together, that we could be really happy. You and I have both made some changes over the years--I am far less cynical about your diversity, you have acquired a Nordstrom (finally--what took you so long??), and I hear that you are even going to get a Target soon, I'm so proud of you for making those changes. Not to mention the fact that you have some of the best hamburgers that I have ever tasted. See? We are becoming more and more perfect for each other as time passes.

Now I know that you have had multiple offers from others as well, and frankly, I'm ok with sharing you. Quite honestly, if I had you all to myself--you wouldn't be able to be the place that I love so much--I mean, I couldn't run the Nordstrom all by myself could I? We are going to have to do something about those Tourists on the North Shore though. Hale'iwa is one of my favorite places, and this last time it was totally overrun with fanny-pack wearing Midwesterners and snapshot happy Japanese. I don't mind a few, but the charm of the North Shore is that it's a SMALL beach town, and it just doesn't have the same quaint charm with the hoards of people. Quite frankly, I blame your hotel industry, I mean what's with busing them all up there?!? The North Shore is supposed to be a little present for those who are willing to rent a car and drive up there themselves.

So ok, you work on that and I'll work on my insect tolerance level. I think you'll find that few will love you like I do. Sure plenty of people love you for your scenery, but I love you for who you are: big city and small-town country.

Please, Hawaii, take me back! Take me back to your white powder shores and your Japanese supermarkets and your new Waikiki shops and your island breeze.

I love you dearly.

Love,

Ali

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Dearest Ali,

I am so glad you have finally come to know of how great I truly am, and are willing to take our relationship to the next level. I must warn you, I have many others and cannot give my heart solely to you. I am sure you will understand this--I am not the monogamist type. If you can handle that, then let us proceded.

Love,
Hawaii

Jonathan said...

I am a little distrubed.... I don't know whether to be happy or jealious. Reading a love letter from my wife, to someone else (or in this case, somethingelse) is a little wired......

jill said...

Dear John...I mean Utah,

I have recently watched a dear family member profess her undying love to a certain island (who's name will be kept private). I can't help after such a lovely display of emotion to wonder about us. I mean we have had a good run and there have been some great memories. But I think it is best if we break up. Please, Utah, know that it is not you-it's me. I just need time to think and grow. I can't offer you what you need and it wouldn't be fair to you.

Thank you for the good times. We will always remain dear friends.

Jill

Juli said...

Awwww. This post made my day, Ali. Is it silly for me to be so happy that you don't hate it here?

Next time you're here I volunteer to keep you stocked up on bug repellant, buy you a burger, and help schlep the kids to the beach. I can also do my part to encourage the Japanese tourists to steer clear of Haleiwa, if that would help. =)

Hope you guys can make it out here again soon!!

Adam and Lisa said...

Ali- I made my blog private - send me an email at thelichfields@gmail.com and I'll send you an invite!