Saturday, January 17, 2009

The other shoe drops

And today the inevitable happened, I regretted cutting my hair.  I knew it would come, it always does--and the shorter I go the sooner it happens.  *sigh*

The most I can muster about my hair is that it's "ok," and I fantasize about getting extensions or turning back time and changing that decision (you know you are delusional when turning back time feels like a viable option).  The thing is, every time I wash my hair and style it, it looks ten shades of hideous.  It's only after two or three days of bedhead and oil buildup (sorry) that it starts to look tolerable, but that wash day I look like a frumpy Mom from the 60's.  I think it's due to the fact that I have an inordinate amount of hair and it must be slept on for it to lay flat, and being short makes this worse.

Here's where you all can help me:

I have posted a few quizzes to the right, please take the time out of your life to validate my existence (I'm so vain) and help me make my decision  (and remember, the polls are anonymous, so feel free to be as honest as you can)

Perhaps next post will be a  little less superficial, but for now, it's all about my hair.

9 comments:

Emily said...

Hey, hair isn't superficial, it's my whole life! It always happens, you'll get over it soon and maybe next trim, you'll change it a bit and love it even more. Remember, it's just hair. And, by the way, it's really cute on you. Don't fret!!!

Adam and Lisa said...

If only your post wasn't so familiar... When my hair is long, I feel like it's heavy, stringy and shapeless. When I cut it, it's too short, too boyish, too flat, too sticky-out, too weird, too big, too layered, etc. So I grow out the short hair until it becomes the stringy shapeless mess that makes me want to cut it! Wish I could offer some more advice, but at least know you are not alone!

Adam and Bri said...

Ahhh, hair. It's the bane of my existence. I love it and hate it all at the same time.

Oh, and I got my giveaway gift! Thanks so much! I can't wait to get groovin'.

JujuBean said...

First, knowing how stylish you are, I bet your hair is a lot better than you think. Worst critic thing, right? Second, I have uberhair too. Before I'd invest in extensions, buy a really good flattening iron, if you don't already have one. Trust me, if I don't iron my hair, I look like I've had a run-in with an electrical socket. Good luck!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

Oh hair...what a nightmare! When I ran into you yesterday I thought you looked darling. But if you really hate it, just start growing it out...you are so cute that you would look cute at any stage! We are so hard on ourselves! Meantime, go buy a new pair of earrings or a cute top...much cheaper than hair extensions!

Kara said...

I think you look darling. But if you must, spend the money on darling hats while waiting for it to grow out.

Britton & Jamie said...

Okay here's my advice..and this is coming from the person who cut her hair a little shorter once, and hated it. What I did was get some really good pomade or wax so that it wouldn't look puffy, and would give it texture after I washed it! Then I tried to do different things with it like bobby pinning twists up...something to make it look trendy or something. You can probably find some ideas on the internet. So that worked for me until it grew out a little. I however think you hair looks adorable, but totally understand what you mean too!! Good luck!!

ali said...

I'm basically thinking I'm going to suck it up--800 dollars is just way too much!

I just wish I didn't have to endure "wash day." And believe me, I entreat all of the flat-ironing, pomading, and bobby pinning that my hair can handle. Headbands also help--which is actually cool because I didn't wear them as much when I had long hair. See?? every cloud has a silver lining!

April said...

Ali,
Let me give you a word of advice on extensions...don't do it. I had the worst experience with extensions (I won't go into it here, I still cry when I think about it). All I can tell you, is it hurts, it hurts and it doesn't look real...believe me, it's not worth the $800 to get it done and then pull it out a week later. Your hair does look absolutely wonderful on you though. You can totally pull anything off, you've got such great fashion sense.