Friday, September 11, 2009

An Ode




Last night I saw a movie that moved me.  A movie by the name of 17 Again.  I've been wanting to see this movie for some time, but as you can probably imagine, Jon (my husband) was less than interested, so I had to wait until he went out of town.  And bless his hardworking heart, he has been gone all week, so last night after coaxing my oldest child and the last of three into bed and ignoring his emphatic complaints about his arm hurting (my son suffers from very mysterious pains that come on suddenly and without relief whenever he has to go to bed or do homework or chores or whenever he gets in trouble...), I bounded up the stairs, plopped on the couch and rented 17 Again from my cable company's way over priced on demand movie database.

Now, I've never seen a Zac Efron movie, and I've never really been a fan, but I am a sucker for any movie that deals with time travel in any form--especially those which feature people going back to High School.  I don't know, maybe the whole I'm-back-at-high-school-but-I-have-the-perspective-of-an-adult thing appeals to me.  At any rate, there I was watching this movie, almost half expecting to not like it because it seems that more often than not these types of movies are not done well and lack "heart" if you will.  Almost instantly I found myself falling in love with Zac Efron's character, and I continued to fall deeper as I watched him stick up for his kids, tell off the resident bully, fumble geekily through this generation's culture, and his inability to take his eyes off of his wife.  Is there anything sexier than a man who can't stop thinking about his wife??

It was the kind of movie that makes you think about it for the rest of the night, and into the morning and then on to your computer to blog about it...

I now understand the appeal of Zac Efron.  I get it.  He's a hottie, I'll admit it.  (Don 't feel bad for Jon, he has his own Hollywood crushes--Kate Beckinsale and Lucy Liu to name a few)

Looks like I'll be renting High School Musicals 1-3 this weekend.  And purchasing 17 Again so that I can swoon anytime I want to.

I still don't love the perfectly coiffed hair though--I like something a little messier thank you.

12 comments:

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

Ok, I'm renting it!

Adam and Bri said...

oh, i quite enjoyed this movie. and as for zac effron — be still my tween heart. :)

Emily said...

Wow. Never even thought to rent that one....gonna try it!! Maybe Kennedy and I will FINALLY have something in common!!!!!

jill said...

I know! I thought it would be so-so. And Zac always creeped me out a little. But I loved it! He totally has my vote.

Teri said...

are you kidding you havent seen high school musicals???? I love them and have the CD's as I am a little embarrassed to admit.. but what can I say I love it!!

Juli said...

I'm so sad to report that I didn't like the movie as much as I hoped I would. In fact, it kind of creeped me out. Oh well. I'm glad there are people out there who appreciated it more than I did.

Erin said...

I really liked the movie too. And I have always known Zac has a little something special as much as it pains me to admit.

Natalie said...

i had the same experience as you only it took place on Saturday and i'm too lazy to blog about it. he's hot. could i be arrested for thinking that? how old is he?

ali said...

He's 22, I made sure. So it's ok :)

ABlack said...

I just convinced Cooper to watch this movie with me last night. and we both actually really liked it. I do have to say that he is much better in 17 Again that in the High School Musicals, they weren't bad but a little cheesy for my taste. He is definetly a keeper!= )

Becky said...

i'm right there with ya! I loved this movie! after i watched it was like "I. HAVE. to buy this!"

Zac Efron is dang funny and a great actor. I loved him on SNL, too!

Jessica said...

I ma going to have to watch this one. I totally forgot about it. Andy is working nights this week. . .perfect time to bring out the chick flicks :-)