Wednesday, February 03, 2010

My New Old Computer

Despite the cheery title, this is not a happy post. A couple of days ago, when trying to wake my computer up from standby mode, I heard the "dreaded click of doom," which is essentially a horrid clicking sound that means your hard drive has died. Yeah, just that fast, and no there weren't any warning signs.

All of my pictures? Gone

All of my writing? Gone (yes-- all of it and I had about 200 pages written for my novels, and even if I never got them published, I wanted them for myself.)

All of the music I had downloaded? Gone

All of the recipes, craft tutorials, and patterns both free and not? Gone

So yes, I have my computer back with a brand new hard drive, but I like my old one better.

And by the way, do any of you have pictures of my kids? I'd love to have a copy so that I can remember what they looked like as babies (note the melodrama).

Also, did any of you happen to hack into my hard drive in it's heyday and make a copy of my novels? Now would be the time to step up.

And as a parting piece of advice, if you haven't backed up your hard drive, please do so, you don't want to feel pain like this, trust me. As a friend of mine put it: "There are two kinds of people in this world, those whose hard drives have crashed and those whose hard drives will crash." Think of your hard drive as a lightbulb, it's only a matter of time, and it happens to everyone. It's not a "Mac vs. PC" issue.

11 comments:

Chris said...

You really can get your files back? I'm sure someone can do something to get some of the files back.

ali said...

I can try, I have to send in my old hard drive to a data recovery place, but it's really expensive, and I don't know if my hard drive is in good enough condition. But I'm definitely going to try!

Shanna said...

Oh, I am so sorry! We had a scare last month when we thought it was dead, but we were able to recover the data. I was sick for a week! Did you really lose ALL the pictures? I would be so upset!!

Adam and Bri said...

Oh, that's completely, completely wretched. I'm so sorry, Ali!

It's happened to me a couple times, in fact. And each time was completely heartbreaking.

Hope you can get your files back!

Kara said...

So sorry, Ali! I have a external hard drive that I back everything up on. It really is a life saver.

Britney said...

I. AM. SICK. FOR. YOU!

So sorry. Really, I am so sorry.

Erin said...

Thanks for the reminder to back up my computer. I don't do a good job of it. So sorry for you though!

Lisa L. said...

That's happened to me before several times (you think I would learn my lesson!). They can recover your data. I usually have my dad or some techie friend do it for free. Good luck!

Lisa L. said...

Oh yea, the first time it happened to me was 2 weeks before my semester long project was due and I lost the entire 500 hour project. I had to start over with just 10 days to go. It was awful!

Jennifer said...

I had a friend that this happened to and he lost his masters thesis. He did get it back through the data recovery, it wasn't cheep but it worked for him.
I've also heard of automatic online backup services that are very reasonable. Your entire computer is backed up daily or more often, and then when your computer dies you just restore everything, very easy. In fact your post is just the motivation I need to do it for my own computer today.

Juli said...

No!! Ali, I'm just sick for you. I'm so sorry =(.