Monday, April 26, 2010

The Agony and the Ecstacy

Also known as: "Update on my Education"

The last time I wrote about School I was in the throws of a group paper and presentation and also studying for a very heavy final.

I should back up a bit though:

It is safe to say that I've been extremely distracted this semester to the point where focusing on any aspect of school has been almost impossible. And for that reason, I did horribly on one of my midterms. Embarrassing. Disappointing.

Because of that, I was seriously trying to get used to the idea that I might actually get a C in the class (horror of horrors-- yes, for me, if it isn't an A, it might as well be an F). So you can imagine the pressure I had put on myself for my paper and final. At the very least it couldn't be worse than my midterm (of course this forces a girl to internally analyze her study behavior to death), and if possible, it had to be good enough to resurrect my grade for the entire class. Basically I was a basket case. There were even times I contemplated escaping the class entirely (I know it sounds ridiculous, but the pressure was enormous), but somehow I found it in me to keep going.

And it's an odd thing I realized, this schooling situation, where your stress builds up and weighs heavily on you over a period of months only to be completely released in a matter of an hour or so, and then after that-- nothing. No handshake from the professor, no mingling with the classmates, no more art to view and critique. Nothing. This is normal for the average student, but I had forgotten how strange this behavior really is.

And then my grade was posted.

A-

It was enough to keep me ridiculously happy for two days. And aside from that unholy little dash to the right of an otherwise sleek and beautiful letter (Who's job, by the way, it is to keep you humble and inform you that while you did in fact get an A, you could have done better), I am thrilled out of my mind and somewhat amazed that I was able to pull that off amid the craziness of my life.

Also, I'd like to update you all on the status of my major. For a while I was going to go into photography because what I really wanted to do (fashion) wasn't offered at BYU, except that it is and it was just hidden under another degree name. So I'm thrilled to inform you all that I will be getting a fashion design degree.....

.....41 credit hours from now....

*sigh*

Onward and upward.

16 comments:

Kara said...

Well done! And it is awesome that you found the major that you really want to pursue.

ty and megs said...

wahoo!! way to go! pretty darn amazing if you ask me!

and i'm excited to see all your fashion/school projects! :)

Jill said...

It just all sounds so fun. I know it is a lot of work but hooray for your successful grade and your continued pursuit!

Melanie said...

Hip hip hooray! I think getting back into the swing of school is the hardest-way to go!

Natalie said...

way to go ali! i'm excited for you. not jealous but excited:)! congrats superwoman!

Esther said...

Ali, you rock! I'm so glad they have the major you want. I'm excited for you!

Jill said...

Yeah. Now that you ask about the header thing.....it is just sooooo...Oprah.;)

Shanna said...

That is awesome! Way to go on the A, and I'm so glad you found the major! You will be great at that.

And, yeah, the school world is very weird! I used to call it "binge and purge"!

ali said...

ok, I had to change the header, I was stressed all night about it, and ultimately, it just felt so weird. I didn't like the idea of seeing my face every time I went on my blog. So bear with me while I try a few more things...

Erin said...

That is amazing! Congrats on the grade and also on finding the right major.

Teri said...

congrats!! You are amazing!!

Adam said...

Less than three semesters if you go full-time. Not too shabby!

Jonathan said...

Congrats again babe! I am excited that you get to major in something that means so much to you. I can't wait for you to open up your own boutique and yarn store!!!!!

Your # 1 Fan!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

way to go ali!

Juli said...

I'm so excited for you!! So stinking cool! If you ever design anything for women with midget legs, saggy bums, and substitute teacher arms I would like to offer my services as your runway model =).

Teri said...

have you been getting my emails??? I had emailed you but you said you never got a response..I promise I did:)