Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Alaska

Many of you know that I've just returned from an Alaskan Cruise. I'd like to share some of it with you, and I wanted to start with some of the scenery. Hopefully I can in some small way convey the feelings and atmosphere that we were surrounded by this last week.


I think it was our third or so day when I woke up and turned to our window to see this unearthly view greeting me. I stepped outside on our balcony to a quiet new world. Cold, silent, enormous, alien, and beautifully intimidating.



The Earth suddenly seemed huge. Bigger than ever and overwhelmingly powerful. I immediately had this feeling of smallness and unnerving loneliness. We were on the edge of the Earth, and it was eerie. It was extremely hard to imagine that this was the same planet that held my little home, my children's crayons and stuffed animals, my shopping malls and my sidewalks.




Even as we pulled into each port of call and witnessed evidence of human residence, it felt as though this was Mother Nature's last great hold on the Earth, and she was just allowing the people to rent space there for a time. It always felt like she was poised to take it back at a moments notice and on an emotional whim. People do not own land in Alaska, the land owns them and it is painfully obvious.
























Perhaps it is difficult to get a sense of what I am describing because the pictures are so small. If you are so inclined, click to enlarge each picture and maybe that will help

15 comments:

Jonathan said...

I expect royalties for the use of my pictures in your post.

ali said...

um, my pictures sweetie.

(Why do you always try to take credit for MY pictures? It makes me look bad)

Natalie said...

no worries ali, we all know jon, aka sweetie, is full of it:).

That looks absolutely gorgeous. I hope to see that in real life someday.

i came to utah last week but ahlena told me you were gone. i will be up in july for a time and would love to see you then. I will keep you posted w/dates:)! love to you! (and your sweetie too:)

Esther said...

So beautiful and majestic. Thanks, Ali.

Jill said...

Buh-reathtaking!! Alaska is such a beautiful place.

Juli said...

You got some gorgeous shots, Ali! I'm coming back to this post whenever I feel homesick (or boatsick or whatever the word is).

ty and megs said...

wow. it really is breath taking. cruise to alaska now made it to the top of my wish list!

Kara said...

Woah.

Melanie said...

I felt pretty little on that cruise. It was eerie that we could be somewhere and not see signs on human life anywhere. I loved it!

Annalee said...

Freaking amazing. I've always felt that way about Alaska. Perhaps it has a bit to do with a tiny little show called, "Deadliest Catch." Either way, I'm dying to see it all in person.

Love your (Jons) pictures.

ali said...

ok, yeah, I think Jon did take one or two of them...

Erin said...

Amazing pictures. I HAVE to go on this cruise. Thank you for sharing.

Adam and Bri said...

Um, breathtaking. Serene and lovely, indeed.

ABlack said...

Wow that looks just amazing! I have to do that trip some day. Glad you had a great time.

Teri said...

so pretty!! we are going there next summer and I cant wait!!! we are doing a 9 day cruise with some family...should be great!!!