Friday, June 25, 2010

Permanent Jewelry

I have never in all of my 29 years and 10 months ever once considered myself to be a tomboy. I am the only girl in my family, and generally, when I tell people that, they assume that I am or was a tomboy. Nope. And here's why (Don't worry this is all heading somewhere I promise, even if it is a long tangent for a loose connection-- just stay with me):

*Never enjoyed watching sports (That has since changed to a very small degree, but that's a blog post for another time)

*Never was any good at playing sports

*I've always been in tune with my emotional side (but now I'm starting to realize that that was always compared with a bunch of boys whose collective emotional capabilities can't even amount to being serious and respectful at a funeral-- so really, it's anyone's guess as to how emotional I really am)

*I love clothes and shopping and the fashion industry as a whole in spite of it's inherent ridiculousness

*I enjoy sewing, knitting, crocheting, creating, nurturing, cuddling, and coddling, giggling, and flowers, and dainty printed fabrics (but only in very small amounts like a tiny coin purse), and tiny coin purses

So, ok, not a tomboy. Except that there are two things I've noticed about myself that point in that direction (wow, that really was a long tangent for a very loose connection, sorry everyone):


And recently I've noticed:

*I'm the same way with jewelry.

Yes, it's true. I love jewelry in theory, but I've never really been able to put it into practice and I don't know why that is exactly. I buy jewelry. I buy really pretty jewelry. I've even made jewelry of various types. But I never really wear it. On occasion I'll pull out a nice piece and wear it to church or something, but I don't wear jewelry like normal women do. I don't even really wear my wedding ring-- not because I'm hoping to be picked up on in the grocery store or gym (shudder), I just genuinely forget to put it on in the morning.


Anyway, there are a few pieces of jewelry that I've been able to wear with consistency. I used to make myself hemp macrame necklaces that I would tie around my neck and wear for years on end through showers and swims and good times and bad and when I was finished with those, I bought myself a choker made of bicycle chain links and proceeded to wear that for a few years as well. My longest running piece of jewelry is a thin silver toe ring that I made in jewelry class when I was fifteen that I still wear to this day and have never taken off for any stretch of time.

This toe ring of mine has not been a separate entity for years and years. It's as much a part of my body as a tattoo would be if I had one, and in fact, I've had a few people ask me very recently when I was going to stop wearing it. All I could do was look at them dumbfounded-- um, it's been on my foot for 15 years now, do you really think that I'm just going to wake up one day and think man, this thing has got to go! Not likely. It's there. It's staying. Get used to it.

Well, I've recently made an addition. This is a big moment for me, this is likely the beginning of another 15 year or longer relationship. While on vacation earlier this month, I bought a British Columbian jade bracelet just like this one below:


I once bought a "jade" (the quotes are there because the authenticity of which has never been verified, I could very well have bought green glass for all I know) bracelet when I was on vacation in Hong Kong, but it broke after wearing it for a nanosecond. I'm pretty sure jade isn't supposed to break, and I've wanted a real jade bracelet ever since then. Because jade is so strong (supposedly) I've decided to wear it on a permanent basis. And-- I love it. I love sleeping in it, I love showering in it, I love doing dishes in it, it's green and I love green, and basically it enriches every part of my life.

*sigh* this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship. This is how I do jewelry.

12 comments:

Shanna said...

gorgeous bracelet! I would never take it off either! Oh- and my inlaws just returned from an Alaskan cruise... makes me wonder if you were on the same one! :)

ali said...

that's kinda cool, what ship were they on?

Jill said...

I am kind of the same way with jewelry. I don't wear it nearly as much as I should for having bought and been given some very pretty pieces and really loving jewelry. Abi asks me why I don't. Sometimes it's because I like the feeling of my skin without it. Sometimes it makes me feel claustrophobic. Sometimes I think my outfit isn't stylish enough to justify the embellishment and other times I just don't want people to look at me with it on. It is strange but that is what I came up with. I have actually set goals to wear more jewelry. So I guess I can relate. Anyway, I love the bracelet!

Melanie said...

I wear jewelry on Sunday, and that is if I remember to put it on. However, I can see how something pretty on your wrist would be motivating during mundane tasks, such as changing diapers, washing dishes, and laundry!

Kara said...

I love the new bracelet. It is perfect as a new permanent fixture.

ty and megs said...

i'm totally the same! jewelry on sundays (often to compensate for my hair being in a pony), but i have a jade bracelet that i wear almost daily. i love it! goes with everything.

Jonathan said...

The one thing I don't think anyone can say is that you are a Tom Boy. Anyone trying to draw that conclusion needs their heads checked. Babe you are as girl as girl can be. And that is a good thing becasue anything less than that would potentially make things awkward between you and I.

I can also witness that she does wear it everywhere, and makes it look oh so good......

Juli said...

Hooray for you! Discovering a piece of jewelry that you love is such a momentous occasion, isn't it? I haven't had that experience for a looong time. I think I'm overdue....

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

sounds like you found another signature piece...hope you have many happy years together (as opposed to nanos)! you are so beautiful that you don't need make-up...jealous here! I have really gotten out of the habit of jewelry, where once that is how my kids could here me coming with my 2 haw'n bracelets clanking! I only wear necklaces for sundays and special occasions now...it bothers me to have those extra things on for normal life...but I won't leave the house without earrings!

Britney said...

You crack me up!

Amazing pictures from your cruise!

Erin said...

I am the same way with jewelry. I buy it, I display it, but I just don't wear it often. Especially necklaces and rings.

Revekka said...

I have a silver necklace with a dragon pendant that I've been wearing for a couple of years now. I got it from a street vender while going out to pick up a few things, only because I liked the look of it. I've only taken it off for medical reasons and soaking with silver polish. I've slept, traveled, and worked in it ever since I had it.

I like the idea of "permanent" jewellery although I don't quite think of it as permanent. I think of it more as semi-permanent, as it can be worn for as long as you want, but removable when desired. When I think permanent decoration, I usually think of tattooing.