Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Evidence that I might have OCD

Alright readers, I want to know if you do these kinds of things too or if I'm the only one:

1. I used to have my closet organized by color of clothing item and then length of sleeve, but I have recently realized that it makes much more sense to have my clothes organized by type rather than color (because when was the last time you said, I just want to wear a blue shirt, I don't care how fancy or casual it is? No, more than likely you say, I'd like to wear a dressy shirt to this party or a t shirt for the day). The categories are: Button up shirts; dressy blouses; casual shirts. And on the shelves: Skinny jeans; boot leg jeans; shorts; skirts; capris. And, I rotate my jeans. I wear the ones on the bottom of the stack and then at the end of the day I fold them up and put them at the top of the stack so that each of them get equal wear.

2. I organize my bills in the "to be mailed" stack according to size with the shortest on top, and then I stick a small post-it on top which has the amount of cash I need to pull out of the bank written on it.

3. When I grocery shop I always start at the side of the store which doesn't include the perishables, and end with the things which must be frozen or refrigerated (and on a side note, I make sure to go there last of all my errands so that the perishables will have minimal car time). When I put my items on the conveyer belt at the cashier, I organize the food into types so that all of the refrigerated items are together, all of the boxed items are together, all of the canned items are together, all of the cereal items are together, and all of the personal items are together. This increases the chance that the cashier will put them in coordinating bags which will make it easier to sort through at home.

4. When I get home and put my groceries in the fridge, I put them in categories single file so that nothing is blocking another thing. For example, when we buy multiple flavors of one thing, I put them in lines next to each other so that both are accessible.

5. When I do the dishes, I have a spot for each type of dish, and that type of dish will always occupy that spot. My silverware cart is organized thusly: all steak knives in the back section (so that no one will cut themselves); next section is for children's utensils (because it is bigger and the utensils are also bigger); next three sections are for regular silverware to be put in one per section at a time to ensure that equal space for all utensils exist careful to have a good mix of each type because similar types stick together and don't get all the way clean; next section is for misc. things like measuring spoons and other smaller oddities; next section is for sippy cup parts; last section is for large utensils like spatulas etc.

Because of my dish doing OCD, I have an extremely difficult time finishing a job started by someone else, and usually I end up just doing it over my way; and I also have an extremely difficult time doing other people's dishes because I'm not familiar with their machine or dishes so I don't know where to put things (seriously, it really does frustrate me to the point where I won't do other people's dishes--it's not just an excuse to get out of doing them).

6. When I shower, I have a particular order to my washing which I never deviate from.

7. I have a regular routine to my day (I'm sure I'm not alone in this one): After I wake, weigh myself, and take care of the kids' needs, I get my unflavored greek yogurt and add honey and then mix it up and eat it while I read emails and blogs. Yes I do this every day, and I eat the same thing for breakfast every day (except on the odd day when I feel like mixing it up with cheerios. Of course then, I have no idea how to eat cheerios and play on the computer at the same time, and I'm always happy when I can get back to my greek yogurt and honey. Also, when I switch it up and eat cheerios instead, I stress about the missed protein. really, I do). After breakfast, I shower. At 11:30, I drink an energy drink and eat a stick of cheddar cheese. Every day. I generally don't permit myself to have sweets until after this snack, and most times not until after lunch.

These are just a few of the crazy things I do.

Am I alone?

Am I crazy?

Please tell me one crazy habit you have in the comments-- I'd love to read them.

11 comments:

Shanna said...

I do the organize and rotate the closet thing... and the dish thing. If Kydon starts putting them in the dishwasher, I will completely empty it and do it "right".

Also, laundry. I have an exact way to fold each and every thing, and if it isn't done my way, I *will* refold it. Once Kydon even put it all away hoping to save me from myself, and then I had to go through each drawer (not just my own, but everyones) and refold things. Now he just leaves the laundry to me. It is better for everyone, except I can never complain about having to do it all myself. :)

Julie said...

I am totally with you on #3.

Emily said...

Ali. I love you. I love that you recognize that you have an illness. That is the first step to recovery!! Just kidding. I have a few of those quirks myself along with a few creepy ones that I won't share, because I am afraid people would judge ;) You're normal, sand, ocd. It's all good!!!

Melanie said...

If you have OCD then I need treatment. I do several of those things too, plus I have some of my own other weird things.

Juli said...

Well, I definitely think you're crazy, but it has nothing to do with any of those things ;-).

1. I'd like to invite you over to organize my closet.

2. I sort mine by due date.

3. Me, too!--and if I have multiple stops to make I'm torn between finding the most efficient route to take round-trip versus the perishables issue.

4. I'm fairly certain my fridge rearranges itself every night to make it as inaccessible to me as possible. A self-defense mechanism, perhaps?

5. Amen!!!

6. I totally do, too! I wonder if we have the same order?

7.And I add peaches to my daily Greek yogurt. Mmmmmmmmm.....

Allie said...

Oh my gosh! I am OBSESSIVE about the way my clothes go in the closet/drawers. The rest of my house can look like a bomb hit it, but my clothes will be in the very specific order I have for them. My husband's side of the closet makes me crazy!

Britney said...

First of all, I'm laughing!!!! You are too funny!

But, sadly to say, I have MANY of these OCD things!

#1...but that that OCD as you...just organized by short sleeve and long sleve, dresses, and dress cloths.

#2...my bills are organized and then filed, but I do my bills online.

#3...I start at the non-perishable side too. And at times I do organize the food too so the same "kinds" of things go in the same bag. This helps with putting away!

#4...I also have my way of putting groceries away...that I do every time.

#5...now this one for sure I do the same! I hate when other load my dishwasher, I actually beg them not to. After Dave loads it, I unload and load it my way. More things fit in when I do it!

#6...Same...to a T.

#7...Same. We have our routine and I stick to it.

Now, with this baby....I've felt out of control and a little "off", so some of my "things" I've had to let go, which as been extremely hard for me. Maybe that's why I have anxiety lately? :)

Love your guts!

Britney said...

Oh, here's one more.

I never touch a public anything: doors, railings, toilets, sinks, drinking fountains... and if I do happen to touch anything, I will not touch one more thing until I can sanitize my hands. ha ha!

Lisa L. said...

I do the closet thing, but it is organized by colors, then length of sleeves. Adam quit trying to put my clothes away about 1 month into our marriage because there would be a GREEN shirt in the RED section!! AHHH THE HORROR!

I am really picky about the toys being put away. Every toy goes in a certain box or basket, all pieces have to be in place and all boxes must be in their correct location. I'm trying to teach Ellie to clean up her toys, but I go fix it all when she's in bed!

When I eat, I always eat each separate food until it's all gone in the order of the very best tasting (minus one bite), then worst tasting to the best again, and finishing with the bite saved from the begining.

Yea, you're not alone in OCD!

Dave Bennett said...

I'm trying to think of a name for people like me - Blog Roamer? Blog Crasher? Blog Invader? Anyway, I like to hit the Next Blog button. Ya meet lots of cool people.

I never thought about arranging a closet according to style of clothing. I wear the same jeans every day. That part is easy. My only concern with the shirts is how dirty they are. So, each day, I grab the shirt to the far left. At the end of the day, I replace it on the same hanger to the far right. And then I put a little white plastic ring on the hanger's hook. When I get four rings, its laundry time.

Keep It Simple, Sweetheart!

ali said...

Dave,

Happy to have you.