Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fun. Run.

I did it. I ran my very first official race, my very first 5k.

The race was organized by a friend and neighbor of mine to benefit another friend and neighbor of mine who is fighting some very mean cancer cells in her body.

I figured it would be the perfect first race to run. Low key, very friendly, full of people that I love, great cause, and no chance of me coming in last (hee hee).

This is my friend Esther and I up at dark-thirty waiting for the race to start. I may have been a little enthusiastic about not being late for my first race.

Everyone needs a friend who will on short notice (like the night before) voluntarily wake up at some ungodly hour to run a race and go as slow as you want to. If you live in the area, I highly recommend her, just remember I saw her first.

And we're off at the sound of a cap-gun shot (not quite the same affect as a real gun)

The grand finish-- this must prove that I ran the entire time, right? Right??

I'm pretty sure I have the best husband and kids in the world-- look how they supported me and cheered me on.

And for the record:
we all froze
I did wear shoes (I'm unable to go that long barefoot just yet)
My time was-- I did it. Seriously, when I ran past the clock, the numbers disappeared and the words "you did it!!" replaced them.
I'll worry about my time next race.

10 comments:

Juli said...

Woo Hoo! You did it!! Very very cool. I have to admit, though, that I'm mostly impressed that you got up that early ;-).

Melanie said...

That is awesome that you did your first race. You know, I know of this place where they have races quite often and it is never cold. Hmmm, maybe you should go visit there sometime soon!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

very great admiration for you beginning with getting out of bed at "dark-thirty" to actually smiling and looking beautiful after running all that way!?

Natalie said...

yay for you ali!!! I'm excited for you. after this baby i want to run a race. not for the time, just for the 'i did it' feeling:). very inspiring!

ali said...

ooo Mel-- I'm in. That sounds so fabulous!

Adam and Bri said...

yay! congrats, ali!

Jill said...

This is awesome, Ali! Wish we could have been there to cheer you on. I would have worn the big hand/finger just for you.

Kara said...

Hurrah! Well done. That is such a great accomplishment. Next time...bare feet! ;)

Emily said...

So...you're awesome! so happy for you and your "first race". Seriously, runners are inspirational...(did you catch that, you're a runner now!!) ;)

Erin said...

Good for you Ali! I ran a 5k once and threw up after...good times.